Categories

Sunday 15 July 2012

Baking Soda & Apple Cider Vinegar Hair Wash

I'm trying to grow out my hair. I want it long, really long. But more than just long, I want it to be healthy. I've been reading a lot about "No shampoo, shampoo". Basically you replace shampoo and conditioner with baking soda and apple cider vinegar. I know, I know it sounds crazy. I wasn't 100% on board with it at first but now, I think it’s fantastic!

I have been rotating between regular shampoo and the baking soda method. The first time I used baking soda and vinegar, I was completely shocked at the results. My hair was shiny, soft, had lots of body and felt clean. I mean really clean. The baking soda actually gets rid of the 'junk' your shampoo and conditioner leave behind.

Baking soda is a strong alkali with a pH of 9.0 on average. High-alkali products open up the cuticles of the hair and cause hair to absorb so much water that the shaft might weaken and or break. To counteract this, the treatment is best followed with an apple cider vinegar rinse to normalize the pH of the hair. The acid in apple cider vinegar will close the cuticles.

All you do is mix 1 Tblsp with 1 cup of water in an old shampoo bottle or squeeze bottle. Shake it well because the banking soda and water will separate. For the apple cider vinegar rinse, use the same measurements.

I basically squeeze the baking soda mixture on to my scalp and rub it in, then rinse. I will then pour the vinegar mix on to my scalp and let it sit for a few minutes. Rinse, then rinse again. You will smell like vinegar while your hair is wet, but the smell goes away when your hair dries.

I'm not totally ready to give up shampoo completely, but I am on board. I'll keep rotating and see how it goes.

Happy hair washing! 



No comments:

Post a Comment