Categories

Sunday 2 September 2012

Cauliflower Broccoli Cheese Soup

Hello Everyone!

I hope you are enjoying your long weekend as much as I am:)

Cooking is one of my favorite things to do. On the weekends I usually cook a meal or two and freeze them for during the week. That way there is no temptation to order pizza or Wings Up! (my personal demon lol).
This weekend I have big cooking plans and I’m off to a good start. This is one of the meals I made yesterday. I got the base of this recipe from Pinterest (where else). You can get the original recipe here. I, of course measure nothing and add other spices and whatever I think could work. I also left out the flour because we just don’t need it!
It actually turned out great! Not that I had any doubts lol!

What you will need:

1 large onion, chopped
1/4-1/2  cup melted butter
1 cup half-and-half
1 cup table cream
2 cups chicken stock or chicken cubes and water I used 3 cubes)
1/2 pound fresh broccoli ( I used a bag of frozen broccoli and cauliflower mix)
1 cup carrots, grated
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 table spoon of italian seasoning
1 table spoon of curry powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1table spoon paprika
8 ounces grated cheddar cheese (or more hehe)
 
Cook the onions in a bit of water. This is something I learned from my mum. It makes the onions softer and easier to brown. Once the water has cooked away, add some butter and sautee until they are delicious and golden looking.
 

While the onions are cooking, grate your carrots. Next time I don’t think I’ll bother grating them. You end up running the soup through the blender anyways so I think this is just a wasted effort.




In a large pot, add the cream, butter, water and chicken cubes. Add your onions and all of the spices. 





Add the carrots, frozen cauliflower and broccoli. Bring to a boil. The veggies will cook right in the pot and soak up all the lovely flavors.Let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes




Once the veggies are cooked, add your cheese. I used mozzarella, old cheddar and a slice of jalapeno havarti. You can grate the cheese if you want, I just cut it up into small cubes. As far as I’m concerned you can never have enough cheese so you can go a little crazy here.

Once the cheese has melted, run the soup through the blender. I did this is 3 batches. I used a ladle and then once it was blended, I put it into the pan I cooked the onions in.

*Be careful when you are blending hot liquid. I found this out the hard way. The steam will potentially make the lid blow off your blender even if you are holding it. The hot soup exploded all over my arm, face and shirt. I have a few small burns L Lesson learned. Let the hot soup sit in the blender for a few minutes to let it cool down a bit.




I added some more pepper, salt, curry powder and paprika after it was blended. I brought it up to a boil again, then turned off the stove and let the soup cool all the way down.

I heated the soup up again for dinner and it was really good! I still had a lot left over so I split it into two Ziplock bags and froze them for later. 


A sneak peak at some of the other yummies to come. Butter Chicken, Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches, Chicken Paprikash and Sheppard’s Pie. 

Happy Sunday!!


4 comments:

  1. I'm so making this! I'm not a big fan of cauliflower but I can get away with it (for some reason) when it's with melted cheese. I've bookmarked this page and am now following.Rx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thanks Rachael! You will love this soup its sooo yummy :)

      Delete
  2. Courtney, is that 1/2 lb broccoli, 1/2 lb cauliflower, or 1/2 lb of both? I'm on low carb and love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lin, It was about 1/2 pound both together (1/4 and 1/4). I don't really ever worry about measurements when cooking though! I hope you enjoy it. I absolutely love it!

      Delete